Norwalk Medicaid (Title XIX) and Elder Law Attorneys

Protecting Your Assets and Securing Your Benefits

With today’s aging population, an increasing number of Connecticut’s elderly residents are in need of long-term care. And with health care costs on the rise, just a few years of treatments can eat up a lifetime of hard-earned assets. Now more than ever, proper planning is needed to ensure that your assets are protected and you receive the benefits you are qualified for, so you do not outlive your money.

For over three decades, our law firm has been serving families in Connecticut. We understand that qualifying for Medicaid (Title XIX) can be a complicated process; many do not realize that they are entitled to benefits, while others have been denied even though they may have met the requirements. We are more than just attorneys; we are experienced advocates that take the time to understand your situation and help you through the process of securing the benefits you deserve, so you can enjoy a more comfortable retirement.

Our firm can assist you with:

Eligibility for Medicaid (Title XIX) for the Elderly, Blind, and Disabled (Husky C)

In Connecticut, the Medicaid program for the elderly, blind and disabled is known as Husky C. To qualify, you must be a Connecticut resident and U.S. citizen (or eligible non-citizen) and fall into one of the following categories:

  • Age 65 or Older
  • Age 18 to 65 with a Disability
  • Legally Blind

Income requirements are dependent on which region of the state you live in. For those living in Region A (southwestern Connecticut), your monthly income must not exceed $610.61 for a single person and $777.92 for a married couple. If you live in Regions B or C (Eastern, Western, or Northern Connecticut), the income limits go down to $506.22 for a single person and $672.10 for a married couple. If your income does happen to exceed the state eligibility requirements, there is a process called “spend-down” which can be used to lower your income by deducting outstanding medical bills.

To qualify for Medicaid (Title XIX) as an elderly, disabled or blind recipient, you must also meet certain asset requirements. If you are single, you are only allowed to possess $1,600 in assets. If you are married, the threshold goes up to $2,400. Certain assets such as your home and the property surrounding it, motor vehicles (within certain limitations) and life insurance policies (up to $1,500 cash value) are excluded. If you own property without a home on it, this can only be excluded if you are making a bona fide effort to sell it.

How Medicaid (Title XIX) Helps with Elder Care in Connecticut

If you are going to be in need of long-term care in the future, it can become very expensive. There are other options such as in home care, but even if you hire a nurse or home health aide to provide elder care at home, it can still add up, depending on how often they come to your home and the services they deliver. Medicare will likely only cover a small portion of these costs, it becomes very important to access all other programs you have available for help.

Special Needs Trusts for Disabled Children and Elderly Loved Ones

One of the most effective tools to help protect the assets of children, disabled adults and the elderly is a special needs trust. For children and disabled adults, these trusts can be structured to allow the beneficiaries to receive their inheritance without becoming disqualified for Medicaid (Title XIX) or any other government program they are dependent on for their care. For aging family members, an Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (OBRA) trust can be set up to put aside assets and protect them from being considered in a Medicaid (Title XIX) application. OBRA trusts are very complicated and few people understand how to set them up properly. Be sure to consult with a seasoned Connecticut elder law attorney if you are interested in this option.

Protecting your assets while receiving the quality senior care you need is one of the major challenges for the elderly in our society. At our law firm, we deal with senior care issues and we can examine your individual case to determine the best way forward to qualify for Medicaid (Title XIX) and/or take advantage of one of the many other options you may have available. Contact us today at 203-853-4400 for your free consultation. From our Norwalk, office, our law firm represents clients for elder and family law matters in Greenwich, Norwalk, Danbury and communities throughout Fairfield County.

OVC Lawyer Marketing, Inc.